To see if you or a loved one needs help with a shopping or spending issue, we invite you to download our free self-assessment. These three self-tests will help you gauge whether there is cause for concern and, if so, what kind of help might be best.
To download Who Needs Help? 3 Ways to Know, simply enter your name and email in the form below and click the “Download Now” button.
Are You an Overshopper?
Shopping can be an important source of self-definition, self-expression, creativity, even healing. Done to excess, however, it can spin out of control and lead to serious problems, eroding rather than enhancing your quality of life. The more you use shopping as an attempt to fill an inner void, manage your feelings, repair your mood, or pursue a “perfect” image, the more likely it is that you need to take a closer look at what this behavior is costing you.
Below is a sample of the questions on the three self-assessments you can download free. You’ll be able to score yourself on them and determine if your score is suggestive of a compulsive buying problem. If so, the assessment will help you think through what kind of help is likely to be best for you or your loved one and what next steps to take.
- Do you often go on buying binges?
- Do you find yourself spending more time and/or money buying on the Internet, in catalogues, or on the shopping channels than you want to?Do you find yourself making more and more use of credit [acquiring more cards, increasing your credit limit, etc.?
- Have any of your purchases ever resulted in problems with your bank or legal problems?
- Are your relationships with family and friends or is your job performance suffering because of your buying?
- Do you hide your purchases and shopping trips from family or friends?
- Are you not opening your mail or answering your phone because you don’t want to face the consequences of your buying?
- Do others consider you a shopaholic?
- Does much of your life center around buying things?
- Is shopping a way of facing the stress of your daily life or to make yourself feel better?
To download Who Needs Help? 3 Ways to Know, which includes the three self-assessments, scoring instructions, how to interpret your score, and, if you need help, how to think through the best type of help for you and what next steps to take,simply enter your name and email in the form below and click the “Download Now” button.